Low Carb Onion Rings




I’ve really been missing onion rings since I went low carb.

Which is weird because it’s not like I ate them a lot before.  I guess, like anything, it’s the knowing I can’t have them that makes me want them more!

I prefer beer battered onion rings, which these are not.  But as a low carb substitute, they did have everything I look for in an onion ring.



Crunchy and savory on the outside – sweet and soft on the inside…

Mission accomplished!

These low carb onion rings are super easy to make.

My only change would be to cut them thicker than I did, as my breading to onion ratio was a little heavier than I would have liked. Next time I’ll cut the onion rings to about 1/2 inch thick.

Some people have commented that the breading didn’t stick to their onion rings. Please note that it’s important that your oil is hot enough to weld it on there almost instantly.



Also, you have to bread the onion rings individually, a couple at a time, not just dump the whole lot into the egg and then right into the breading in one pile.

If you do that you’ll get a lumpy mess and nothing will adhere to the actual onions.

Recipe type: Appetizer
Cuisine: Onion rings
Serves: 4
INGREDIENTS
1 large onion
1 egg
2 Tbsp coconut flour
2 Tbsp grated parmesan cheese
⅛ tsp garlic powder
¼ tsp parsley flakes
⅛ tsp cayenne pepper
salt to taste
¼ cup olive oil for frying
INSTRUCTIONS
Heat the oil in a medium saute pan.
Meanwhile, beat the egg in a shallow bowl. Combine the coconut flour, parmesan, garlic powder, parsley flakes, cayenne and salt in a shallow bowl.
Slice up your onion to a thickness of about ½ - ¾ of an inch and break up the rings until you have a big pile. Add all of the onion rings to the beaten egg and mix thoroughly so they are well coated. Soak the onions in the egg for at least a minute, and then in small batches dip in the coating and then into the hot oil.
Fry until golden brown and then turn with a fork or tongs to brown the other side. Remove to a plate lined with paper towels to soak up any excess oil.
Serve with sugar free ketchup or the sauce of your choice. Enjoy!

NUTRITION INFORMATION
Calories: 175 Fat: 16g Carbohydrates: 4g net Protein: 3g
source:http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2012/06/low-carb-onion-rings.html

No comments:

Post a Comment