I spent last weekend "back at college" celebrating my baby sisters graduation... everytime I go I realize why I gained so many lbs lol! Every meal was something oh so bad for me but oh so tasty! It is crazy once you start to cut out a majority of the bad stuff that you can feel your body act differently when you put it back in. By Sunday night I wasn't feeling so great and I was craving something with some nutrients. I pinned this recipe awhile back and figured it would be the perfect thing to try.
I loved that this had no refined carbs and was super filling for under 180 calories a pepper half. Also it took a few ingredients and not too much prep work to make which is perfect in my book. I got the original recipe here but modified it to make it a bit bigger and a bit healthier!
4 green peppers cut in half and seeded
1 tbs coconut oil
1 small sweet onion chopped
1 package button mushrooms sliced
1 clove garlic
1 lb roast beef sliced, and cut into strips
8 pieces of mozzarella cheese
1) In large skillet heat coconut oil, add onion, mushrooms, garlic, and S&P to taste
2) Sautee until onions are translucent and mushrooms become tender
3) Add roast beef and heat through
4) Place pepper halves in large baking dish, place half a piece of cheese into each half, top with some beef/onion/mushroom mixture, then top with other half of cheese
5) Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 25 minutes until peppers are soft and cheese is melted (you can include a little bit of water in the bottom of the pan to help the peppers soften up while cooking if you like them softer)